An In-Depth Look into Tankless Water Heaters
The tankless water heater is modern plumbing’s response to the timeless challenge of scarce resource conservation. As the name suggests, tankless units use no tank or other storage reservoir to produce or store hot water. Instead, tankless units direct cold water into an internal heating element only when a demand for hot water exists, like when you turn on your shower.
If you’re considering upgrading to a new tankless water heater unit, consider the following pros and cons before making your final decision.
Tankless Water Heater Pros
- Energy Efficiency – Tankless heaters produce hot water completely on demand. This makes them far more energy efficient than traditional tank heaters that consume energy in order to continuously keep a tank of water heated.
- Space Savings – The 30 to 40-gallon capacity conventional tank units used in most households take up a lot of space. In fact, many homeowners must maintain storage closets or other separate areas just to accommodate their water heaters. With physical dimensions comparable to those of the average briefcase, tankless units resolve these spatial dilemmas.
- Greater Water Purity – Because water is heated only as it flows through a tankless device, there is no possibility of contamination from rust, mineral deposits, or other harmful residue.
- Unlimited Hot Water Supply – Tankless heaters heat flowing water as it moves directly from a main source. This means no more running out of hot water while showering or during times when multiple family members need hot water.
Tankless Water Heater Cons
- Inconvenience – You may often have to wait a few minutes after turning on a faucet before getting any hot water flow. This is because tankless units have no static supply of stored hot water.
- Price – Most tankless heaters cost between $600 and $800, compared with the $300 to $480 price for conventional tank units. Moreover, initial installation costs are considerably higher for tankless heaters.
- Limited Geographical Utility – Tankless water heating units do not work well in climates where the weather is extremely cold for a majority of the year.
The Bottom Line
If you’re thinking about buying a tankless water heating unit or need expert water heater repair, installation, or maintenance, call 952-933-8888 to reach one of our professional St. Paul plumbers at Ben Franklin Plumbing of Minneapolis. We’re happy to help you with your home maintenance
Leave a Reply