Chill Out! How to Fix Burst & Frozen Pipes
It’s common knowledge that winter’s frigid temperatures can pose danger to your home’s pipework. What many homeowners don’t realize is that pipes located behind walls and under floors—even if properly insulated—may still become exposed to colder temperatures and freeze. If your pipes reach freezing temperatures, any water inside can turn to ice, leading to backups, broken pipes, flooding, and more.
If you can identify where an icy clog is occurring, try dipping a towel in hot water and wrapping the towel around the area of the clog. This will help to spot-thaw the pipe without causing damage. Here are other methods for thawing frozen pipes:
- Use a hairdryer or portable space heater and apply heat near the affected pipe. This method may take a while to be effective depending on the severity of the freezing. Gradually apply heat on low or medium settings for best results.
- In extreme cases, you can use a portable blowtorch for solidly frozen pipes. Always use caution when using this method and remember to keep the flame a few inches away from the pipe at all times to avoid damaging the pipe.
If you’re not comfortable performing these pipe-thawing techniques, don’t hesitate to contact us. We have experience dealing with plumbing emergencies and the tools necessary to quickly thaw your pipes.
What to Do If Your Pipes Burst
If the worst happens and your pipes do burst, here’s what you should do right away:
- Shut off the main water valve.
- Clear the area near the leak or burst pipe.
- Safely unplug and remove any electronic devices or appliances in the vicinity.
- Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for 24/7 emergency plumbing services
At Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Twin Cities, we hope you never need to call us for a frozen or burst pipe, but if you do, rest assured that we’re always here for you with 24-hour service. Our plumbers are equipped with the knowledge and advanced tools necessary to handle any plumbing emergency. Don’t let a winter plumbing problem get you down! Chill out and rely on our licensed, experienced plumbers to keep you safe.
Leave a Reply