Frozen Pipe Repair in Minneapolis and St. Paul
Cold Minnesota temperatures and poor insulation can lead to frozen or burst pipes. This can cause additional problems throughout your homes plumbing system including lack of water pressure or pipe replacements. Though older homes are especially susceptible to these problems, any home can be affected.
Tips to Prevent Frozen Pipes & Breakage
- Have Your Pipes & Insulation Inspected in the Fall
- Limit Faucet Usage During Cold Winter Months
- Have Your Homes Primary Water Line Inspected To Ensure it is in Working Order
- Keep the thermostat at a constant temperature at all times
What to Do If Your Pipes Burst
- Shut off the main water valve.
- Clear the area near the leak or burst pipe.
- Safely unplug and remove any electronic devices or appliances in the vicinity.
DIY Tips for Frozen Pipe Repair
Even though you only see the pipes located inside your home, they actually travel inside your walls and under your flooring, sometimes exposing them to colder temperatures. If these areas of your pipes reach freezing temperatures, any water inside can become ice, leading to backups, broken pipes, flooding, and more.
- If you can identify where an icy clog is occurring, try dipping a towel in hot water and then wrapping the towel around the area of the clog. This will help to spot-thaw the pipe without causing damage.
- Use a hairdryer on a medium setting and apply heat near the affected pipe. This method may take a while to be effective depending on the severity of the freezing.
- In extreme cases, you can use a portable blowtorch for solidly frozen pipes. Always use caution when using this method and remember to keep the flame a few inches away from the pipe at all times to avoid damaging the pipe.
If you feel uncomfortable performing any of the above pipe thawing techniques, don’t hesitate to contact a professional plumber who has the experience and tools necessary to thaw your pipes in no time.
Pipe Thawing Services in Minneapolis & St. Paul
At Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Twin Cities, we hope you never need to call us for burst pipes or frozen pipe repair, but if you do, rest assured that we’re always here for you with 24-hour service. Our plumbers are equipped with the knowledge and advanced tools necessary to handle any plumbing emergency. Don’t let a winter plumbing problem get you down rely on our Benjamin Franklin plumbers to keep you safe.Schedule an Appointment